CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Thursday, March 4, 2010

MEGA MAN X on March 2…FOUR BOSSES DEFEATED!!!

Warning: This is a very long post. A lot happened.
Yesterday we did have some time to get further in this wonderful 16-bit video game.  And it was very successful!!  My sister and I make a great MMX team.

Okay, so here’s what happened.  I wanted to try the level with the Sting Chameleon boss first.  I said, “Go Fire Mega Man”…It was an unsuccessful attempt; maybe X needed more weapons than the storm tornado, the ice and the fire.  So then I moved on to the level with the Launch Octopus boss.

Get get get go go go go go…! Go go go go go go go go go…! It’s 2 (HP) versus 2 (HP)…(Both my sis and I shout: ) NOOOOOO!!!!!”

I almost made it that time.  Launch Octopus had two hit points left, and so did X, but he got me first. Dammit.  But I did have some extra lives, so with the next chance I won the fight, and the storm tornado weapon worked the best for this one.  I also discovered the benefit of the Sub Tank: when I get extra health containers while X’s health gauge is full, then these extra health containers fill up the Sub Tank. That can prove very helpful. It’s like a partial extra life, or when all the way full, this Sub Tank “is another extra life,” as my sister said.  We are going to use this extra power when we’re on the last life doing pretty good in a boss battle.  So I’m gonna keep collecting those.  You can never have too much energy to go around, I'd like to think.

X gained the Homing Torpedo weapon from Launch Octopus, which will come in handy later in the playing session.  After that battle/level, I handed the game over to my sister so I can take a break ^.^ She started the level with Boomer Kuwanger, the boss with the boomerang cutter weapon.  I hated that level; I never reached the boss when I tried it earlier.  But she not only got further than I did, she reached the boss…and defeated Boomer Kuwanger!!  She used the Homing Torpedoes that I acquired from Launch Octopus.  Ugh, lucky. Oh well ^,^ Yay, another boss down!

There was a Max-Energy item somewhere in that level and we couldn’t get to it.  Was there some kind of ability that X was supposed to get that would allow him to reach these hard-to-reach important items?

To give sis a break, I took over the game and went to the level with Spark Mandrill as the boss.  I hated this level too, because there were many obstacles (like the electric shock balls those big blue machines spit out) but of course the music helped me deal with it.  There was another hard-to-get item in this level, some kind of tank.  It was impossible, and what could X do to even get to it at all? [Heavy sigh].  Anyway, it was a stage that was pretty difficult, and after a few tries I reached the boss.  Somehow, the Spark Mandrill’s weakness is the ice weapon; this boss froze whenever I had X use the ice weapon.  So after losing a life, I used only the ice weapon and right after the Spark Mandrill broke out of his ice, X shot him again with more ice again, and I repeated this technique until X won the battle.  Hah, the battle was easier than the level itself!

From that boss I acquired the, um…Electric Spark weapon.  By the way, we think it’s so adorable when X defeats a boss and then at the end of the “you win the battle” jingle, X punches the air like “YEAH!!” and he’s smiling! Smiling!! Soooo cuuuuute!!!!

My sis took over the game for me and returned to the level that I tried to finish earlier, the forest level with the Sting Chameleon. I didn’t have a problem with this level…neither did my sister…but the Sting Chameleon is a pain.  We both are annoyed at the sound it makes when it disappears and reappears again. It took the both of us several tries, but we found out that at the top of the boss stage there are instant-death spikes.  X dies when he jumps too high to avoid Sting Chameleon’s Irontongue attack.  It wasn’t obvious at first, but once we knew about the spikes, we lost lives less frequently.  At one point when I tried the boss, I had four extra lives and a full Sub Tank and a full health bar. Lost all of those  >:(  But my sis came up with a strategy: use the Homing Torpedo one at a time for the whole battle. Use the Sub Tank to stay alive for the rest of it.

(HINT: to fill up the sub tank, the robo woodpeckers spit out green caterpillars that often give out health items. There’s only one or two each new bird, so backtrack and then return to the birds, and they will spit out the green guys again. Continue until Sub Tank is full.)

I gave my sis a break and went through the level, getting a full Sub Tank and keeping the health bar as full as possible in the end.  Then I handed my sister the boss battle, and she stuck to her strategy and with patience and constant avoiding, defeated Sting Chameleon! :D Yayy, we’re a team! So between the two of us we defeated seven of the eight bosses: Storm Eagle (me), Chill Penguin (sis), Flame Mammoth (me), Launch Octopus (me), Boomer Kuwanger (sis), Spark Mandrill (me), and Sting Chameleon (sis). That leaves, um…Armor Armadillo. We’re not competing for who defeats the most bosses in this game, because we are both having fun watching and playing. We learn from the other player and help each other out. Now that I think about it, this game is best played by two people who take turns.

Phew…long-ass post. Next time to this game might be either Friday or Saturday. Expect a post on Crisis Core: FFVII coming up.

@,@

No comments: