CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Friday, November 27, 2009

My experience and thoughts on Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier

Thursday night after 8:30pm, I tried out Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier for the first time.  I gotta say, it's not bad at all.  In fact, I had so much fun with the game!  The flying introductory mission was fun and not too difficult for me to play through, and I loved the music for that part.  I like the music in the game in general.  I'd describe it as "adventure music" not quite a la the Superman theme.  I believe it is about time that the latest game for Jak and Daxter is another platformer. 
     I am also glad that it is also available for the PS2, something more people have access to than the PS3.  In fact I had to change the aspect ratio to the 16x9 size because at the 4x3 the subtitles were too small and narrow.  Since it started out as something like a narrow wide-screen (being essentially for the PSP), stretching the aspect ratio to the other, larger size helped a lot so that the scenes and the gameplay filled up my entire TV screen.  Neat!
     Some things I do actually miss from the Jak and Daxter trilogy that are not in this game are:
  • the Rolling Super Long Jump
  • Jak putting away his weapon when it's not in use
  • The usual characters Sig, Torn, Samos and Ashelin
  • Light Jak and Dark Jak
  • the Jet Board (is it gonna come back?  I hope so...)
    I miss that Jak can put away his weapon, because now he's holding it all the time and it makes him look intimidating to the other people walking in the city of Aeropa.  It's annoying to me that he always looks ready to shoot.  Why can't Jak just relax already, huh?  What I do appreciate about this game even without Naughty Dog as it's developer is:
  • the nostalgic sound effect that I hear when I find a Precursor Orb (it's just like the one from the first Jak and Daxter game!)
  • nature-like places to explore
  • new characters
  • the new flying gameplay
  • Daxter's, um...vulnerability to Dark Eco
  • Jak may look a little different (minus his goatee) and sound a little different, but it's not strange to me.  He's Jak and that's all that matters.  : D
     This new game made me care a little more about Daxter.  He is a big-mouth, a liar and obnoxious, as he always was in the past four games, although I loved the comic relief.  However, Daxter has feelings too.  SPOILERS...Probably?)  There is a scene when I realized how vulnerable Daxter can be because of his emotions.  When Daxter got separated from Jak, he was lonely and scared.  Of course.   It made me think inside, "Awww...poor Daxter."   It wasn't his greedy, silly side showing.  It was his fear, not only separation anxiety but also the fear of the unknown.  I'm wondering, does Daxter like being Dark Daxter, and does he want to do it again?  Was he even conscious during the time?  Could he hurt Jak?  It was the first time it happened, so the further I play through the game, I'll probably find out.
     Once I had three Precursor Orbs, I had to go ahead and get the Secret "Jak's goatee."  I think he looks strange without it, because he always had one in Jak II, Jak 3 and Jak X.  I'll let him have his goatee on again  for now.   :)   
     I unfortunately didn't have my recorder with me when I played, so my exclamations are forgotten.  But I remember that I left off right before the mission "Return to Duke Skyheed" and that I'm moments away from the destination.  So far Jak has only one mod for his Gunstaff.  Sigh, I can see why those other Jak and Daxter fans weren't too crazy about this game.  But I like it anyway.  ^,^

No comments: