CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Friday, September 11, 2009

A revisit of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Part 1: Tails Misbehavin'

     About 2 hours ago I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on my new PSP (the TV with the Playstation 2 was being used, so at least I had a Plan B to return to one of my old favorites.  The Sega Genesis Collection  for PSP makes it possible).  I left off at the beginning of the Aquatic Ruin Zone, about to get my fifth Chaos Emerald...then it got frustrating.  I used to be so good at this!!
     The nice thing about playing this classic game from this collection is that I can save at any point in the game that I want.  This means, that if I plan to have as many opportunities to have Sonic transform into Super Sonic, then I can save right before I enter the special stage (or lose the 50+ rings I've collected) so that whenever I mess up, I can just reload the file.  Sweet!  Back in the day, we couldn't do this sort of thing.
     This save feature is extremely handy, either in this Sega collection or in the Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2.  For one good reason: Tails can be a pain in the ass.  I used to like leaving Tails behind and then watch him catch up with Sonic, only to be stuck behind a door or trap.  But Tails is very helpful in the Special Stages...only when he doesn't lose any rings!  I have to make Sonic jump two seconds earlier than I want him to, so that Tails can avoid running into those black-and-red bombs.  You remember this, right readers?  I reloaded several times for each of the second, third and fourth Chaos Emeralds because Tails messed up.  Am I supposed to blame Sonic?  Oh yeah...I'm playing Sonic.  So who's playing as Tails?!!  No one, actually.  I mean sure, a second player (as Tails) is not necessary to play the one-player game, but it sure would help.  Otherwise, you can choose to play the one-player mode "Sonic Alone" and it should solve the problem.  But isn't it funny though, when Tails runs or jumps off somewhere on his own, or gets stuck behind an automatic closing door?  But then he'll come back and tag along again...
     My sister and I liked to do this  when we were little; one would ask the other, "Do you wanna play Sonic 2, two-players-in-one?"  One plays Sonic, the other would play Tails.  That way, Tails wouldn't suck while in the Special Stages.
     Ahh, that was fun in Sonic the Hedgehog 3; making Tails fly was fun.  I should dedicate a post to a reminisce of that game.  It will happen.

No comments: