CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Memory Card I Lost

     It was some time in November 2006, soon before Thanksgiving Day when this happened. I was playing Jak X: Combat Racing, and I was done with about 38% of the game, as it indicated. At some point in between races, I decided to upgrade Jak's ride. I changed color after color, wheels, the engine and something else, I forgot. But I didn't realize that after every time I made a change to the race car, the game automatically saved. I didn't take that into account until I saw that the auto-save indicator was still flashing like it was still trying to save. I played another race, and the auto-save check mark was still on the screen. I didn't like that; somehting was fishy. I stopped playing and tried to see if I can exit to the title screen, but it wouldn't let me. There was no way to get out of it. I made a no-win decision to reset the game, and it happened: the data in the memory card became corrupted.
     I knew it was a bad idea, and I did it anyway.  I lost the data for the finished Chaos Legion, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Jak II completed, Jak 3 completed, and ultimately Jak X. I kind of cried.
     Boy, did I screw up...
     But it was soon before Thanksgiving Day. After a short while, I thought, Hey, at least the world didn't end and my family is safe.  And besides, this past June I realized the joy of playing Jak 3 all over again.

No comments: