CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mega Man X Collection.......trying Mega Man X

The Mega Man X Collection arrived at my home on Wednesday afternoon!  Boy, that was fast.  I wanted to try it out on the same day so that I made sure it can play okay.  I was so nervous, I always get butterflies in my stomach before trying out a game I never played before.
     There was no instruction manual included, but that's okay.  The controls can't be too complex since the first half of the games included were on the Super NES, which doesn't have as many buttons as the PS2.  So,  around 6:15pm I put the disc in...yay, Capcom...1993?!!  Wow, all they way back in 1993, this first MMX game?  I had to be in third grade that time.  It's not exactly a blast from the past, but there is something different and special playing a video game released seventeen years ago.
     There was a short prelude to the game, a letter from Dr. Light, the creator of X.  Maybe there is info on the story of these games available in the internet, but I think I understand it better when I see the story for myself.  Dr. Light says something like... "He is dangerous and very powerful.  It is best to wait 30 years until it is safe for him to be independent and make his own choices.  Unfortunately I will not live to see that day."  (It is a rough and weak paraphrase of this Dr. Light quotation...I'll see it again and try to remember it better. =P)
     So cute.  Mega Man/X is this little guy.  Or at least that was what the 16-bit graphics allowed at the time.  He blinks when I don't move him; once, then twice, then once again :3 .  It is so fun to make him shoot from his arm-cannon thing ( know, I should really look up exactly what it is called, but I am just used to calling it his arm cannon.)  And it took me a while, but I learned that by holding the square button, I can charge a stronger attack equal to four or eight of those little, um, bullets.   When he destroys enemies, he gets either a small or big health-replenishing item.  Yay for those!  He can climb up ladders and jump up on walls too, which saves his ass because I don't want him falling to his death.  Ugh...now I know how it feels again to experience instant-death spikes and instant-death pits like other fans/critics talk about.  And the bosses!  Chill Penguin...does anyone remember that one?  I tried different stages and so far Chill Penguin is the easiest!!  But I didn't beat him yet!  [Sigh]  Man, I can't even touch the boss, because they take away a quarter of the health bar.  Godd----t, man.
     I let my sister try out the game too.  We were both so excited about it.  We both absolutely loooove the music in the game; in the "Launch" screen (the screen where you choose which MMX game you would like to play), the music samples during the screen are so damn cool, we just HAVE to know the composer for the MMX series (maybe an original soundtrack is available somewhere...?).  It's a nice break from the Sqare-Enix goodness I've been messing with.  Although, I do have to get back to Vector Man.  I know there is Mega Man X Maverick Hunter for the PSP, but I don't need that.
     We are really eager to get back to the game again.  Man, my thumb needs a good break after this.  Most of the button-mashing comes from pushing the X button (ha ha...the X button o.0 )  for making X jump all...the...damn...time.  The nice action music makes it fun and the colors are vivid.  And the controls are simple enough that we'll be fine without an instruction manual.  Although... it would be really helpful to know which stage to start with.  Either the snowy one with Chill Penguin, or the gold mine level.  Uh...what's it called...eh, I'll find out.  I'll say the names of the levels into the recorder next time.
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal!!!!  :3  Mega Man X (and Zero!!!) got two new Mega-fans!

No comments: