CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chaos Legion Music


Chaos Legion , Capcom

I started putting some of my favorite tracks from the Chaos Legion OST in my purple iPod Nano, and it occurred to me, I had to write about one major thing about this video game that made me love playing it: the music.

I first rented the game in the spring of 2004. It was from a Hollywood Video (when it wasn’t out of business). When I had to rent Chaos Legion and stopped playing it the day I had to return the copy, the music on the title screen was so beautiful that I did NOT want to turn off the PS2. I let it play twice or three times the whole way through before I reset the PS2 and opened the disc tray.

I loved the music, the game play, and I liked Sieg’s red hair and wanted to know what happened between him and Victor Delacroix (how they became enemies). I decided I liked the game enough that I wanted to buy it. It was hard to find at my usual video game shopping stores, so ultimately I bought a new copy at a Game Stop. Here’s my conversation:

“Um, excuse me; do you have the video game Chaos Legion?

“Let’ me check… [checks on the computer system]…Yes, we do.”

“You have it?! Oh, thank you, thank you so much!!”

o.0  What, you want it?"


I could tell from the title screen music that maybe the story is a sad one, or bittersweet, but the song was so beautiful. This was before I knew there was an official OST released, so the only time I heard music from this game was whenever I played it. I especially loooove the song from Stage 6; that’s the one with the red moon in the background. The bass and the strings rock! Then there’s Stage 7 Misty Ravine, which is a nice change from fast-paced music to a slow, mysterious atmosphere, even more emotional. But really the whole soundtrack is amazing, in my opinion. There are bells, choir singing, strings, rock percussions, and there’s even singing in Stage 8, although I can’t tell exactly what language it is in. There’s a bonus for true Chaos Legion fans who appreciate the music for the game: the music for the released legion is played for about the last thirty seconds of the Stage track. The composer for the game is named Hideyuki Fukasawa.

Unfortunately, and to my disappointment somewhat, the OST does not include music that comes in during the cinematic scenes. If I want to hear those again, I have to play the game again. I would watch the scenes from the movie player screen—if only I didn’t lose the data to my corrupted memory card.

There has to be a video of some Chaos Legion game play somewhere on You Tube (cuz I dunno where else to look). This is surely not the best video game ever, considering the repetitive hack n slash game play along with the fragmented storyline and unclear time period/setting (somewhere in Europe). However, it is the very first Capcom video game I ever played, personally, so it has that special place in my gamer girl heart.

No comments: