CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Sonic Fan-Girl Chronicles: Chapter 4—The Christmas of our very own SEGA Genesis and Sonic 2

This chapter in my Fan-Girl Chronicles for Sonic the Hedgehog is probably the most pivotal chapter of them all.

For the rest of the year of 1993, the SEGA Genesis and Sonic 2 were rented at least a couple more times, always on a weekend.  It was pretty much the only video game we played; nothing topped Sonic 2 for me and sis for the rest of the year.  I mean, we had some Nintendo games but we either beat them before or just were not so amazed by them anymore.  Golf…hockey…By then Super Mario Bros.  was overdone and we still didn’t beat that game.

It was holiday season 1993, winter break for our 3rd-grade school year.  We were good girls and had asked for the SEGA Genesis and Sonic 2 for Christmas.  I wasn’t very optimistic about it, but it was worth a try.  So when my sister and I opened our presents, we were of course disappointed that we didn’t get those two things we asked for.

Wait!  We missed a large present that was placed behind the Christmas tree.  It was for both of us, from Mom and Dad.  We exchanged glances.  What could it be?  We tore open the present…

JOOOYYYYYY! (I think by then we watched Ren & Stimpy)

It turned out it was a SEGA bundle:  a SEGA Genesis video game console with a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 included.  Sonic was on the box!  And Tails! 

I forgot if I played the video game that same Christmas day or not.  I think I did.  It was Sonic 2!  And I forgot how far I reached too, unfortunately.  How long did it take for me to finish the game…?  For a long while Sonic 2 was the only SEGA video game we owned, and from time to time we rented other SEGA Genesis video games.

Soon we were able to get a second controller so one could play as Sonic and one could play as Tails in co-op, or we could play the 2-player mode and have friendly competition.

By the way…I gotta say that I loved it when I got all 7 Chaos Emeralds and when Super Sonic poses at the end movie of Sonic 2.  The first time I saw that I thought it was so cute that I planned to finish the game all over again one day so I can take a picture of Super Sonic posing on the TV screen with my kiddie Vivatar camera.  With the kind of TV it was, all attempts were unsuccessful, as the screen appeared gray.

Oh yeah…one other detail.  The SEGA Genesis was actually hooked up to the TV set in our parents’ bedroom, where our Nintendo was.  So we couldn’t play it whenever we wanted to, even on a weekend.

This changed with the occurrence of the ’94 Northridge Earthquake.  All the bedrooms, kitchen and the den were all a mess.  We ended up moving the TV set from the den into the living room, which was the least messy (less stuff to fall and break from the earthquake).  It was then that the SEGA Genesis was hooked up to the [den’s] TV set.   And I think later the Nintendo was reconnected to the TV in our parents’ room.  This way either game console had a TV.

I also remember playing Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine while the den’s TV was still in the living room.  It was a beautiful Saturday morning, actually.  My sister played this game while I blew bubbles in the living room, and then I discovered something fun: I moistened the bathroom counter and blew a bubble so big that when I placed it down on the wet counter and it created a bubble dome, and we eventually called this bubble game crystal ball (by the way, thanks Sis, for reminding me it was called crystal ball!).

And it was also there, in the living room couple months later, that we first rented and played Sonic the Hedgehog 3.  Would you like to read the story of our first taste of Sonic 3?  That will have to wait for another chapter in my Fan-Girl Chronicles for Sonic the Hedgehog.
Stay tuned and stay cool.  :3 

No comments: