CYBORG HAVEN 2.0

CYBORG HAVEN 2.0
5 YEARS ON THE INTERNET

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Four-Year Anniversary of Cyborg Haven: Blog of a Gamer Girl


Four years ago on September 3rd, I launched Cyborg Haven: Blog of a Gamer Girl.  I had wanted to start this blog earlier than 2009, but while I was attending CSUN, I didn’t have the time to commit to it, let alone know what I wanted to write about or how to design it.  It would be my very first blog, so I didn’t know the routine of creating a blog.

I first heard of a “blog”—web log—back in 2006, when one of my instructors in my previous college suggested Blogger to students as a method of writing journals for the reading we do for the class.  It was an interesting idea: an online journal for reading assignments.  I was new to doing that sort of thing, and I wasn’t comfortable with writing for the public quite yet—not the World Wide Web, at least.  I think I just used a folder with fasteners to hold lose paper together and used that as a notebook for my reading journal.

Then in 2008 I was re-introduced to Blogger in a Popular Culture course.  There was even a book all about blogging as a recommended text for the course.  It is called The Rough Guide to Blogging by Jonathan Yang.  It wasn’t required reading.  But I knew that eventually I wanted to write a blog of my own (because for the class we were going to have group blogs not individual ones).  I at least read what I needed for the blog me and my group would write and maintain, but after graduation in 2009, I returned to the blog book and read up on Blogger, tags, HTML, and design tips on things such as font, template and background.   I also had to think about what topic I wanted for my blog:  what topic or aspect about my life would I be able to have something to write about more often than most?  I didn’t want to write about my everyday life:  I wanted a topic I thought would be fun to update progress or reactions to.

I decided on Blogger as my host because I was introduced to it twice before and it was one of the simpler ones, plus I already had a Google account when I made my Gmail, so I just sign in with my Gmail. 

I forgot how exactly I came to the decision, but I decided that videogames would be the topic of my blog.  Video games played by me, a girl.  But what should I title it?  Well, before I realized how much of a robot enthusiast I was, I came up with “Cyborg Haven”, which made me think of a human connected to a computer or a television set.  This online journal would be a place where one who is a causal gamer girl (who feels out of place with other girls who don’t play video games) can go to rant or reminisce or gush or fan-girl about topics related to videogames, such as favorite characters or new videogames I’m looking forward to trying out or owning.  I ultimately had to add the subtitle “Blog of a Gamer Girl” because I didn’t want to confuse other geeks about what kind of blog it is.  So the full title on the top of the blog became “Cyborg Haven: Blog of a Gamer Girl,” which may be longer than it should be, but I’m happy with it.

Keeping the blog was also a way to keep my typing skills.  In addition, I had a way of keeping a log of what video game I played and when, and what I did, and how I felt at the time.  I love how I can search for the video game subtopics by tags that I give them, such as Nostalgia and Reminisce, Progress, Mega Man X, or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Then the design questions came up.  I wanted to put a picture of my own creation, not someone else’s picture.  I spent about an hour a day for a few days on Microsoft Paint 2002 to draw a cyborg girl specifically for this blog.  NOTE:  For the 5-year anniversary of Cyborg Haven, I may place an entirely different drawing of a cyborg girl for the top of the page.  Maybe then my drawing skills will have improved.
 
The reason why the background color is a dark navy blue and the text light gray is because I figure that if anyone is reading this late at night, it should be easier on the eyes, rather than having dark text against a bright white background.  It could be dark green…or dark red…but the blue is a bit more calming than the other colors.  Even purple might not be bad if I give it the right hue.


As for how often I will be posting on Cyborg Haven: I realize that some of my posts have been few but big.  I think from this point on, I might try something and post more often but keep the posts down to two big paragraphs or three shorter paragraphs.  If I want to update what missions, stages or tasks I’ve accomplished in a video game, I can list them and talk briefly about one or two of them in detail.  Eventually when I start working, hopefully around mid-autumn, it may be harder to get a chance to play a good video game session.  I don’t want to stop writing for Cyborg Haven.  My interest in video games should survive even when my lifestyle gets busier.
Here’s to another year of blogging about my favorite childhood pastime: playing video games!  And yes, it’s not just a “childhood” pastime.  You’re never too old to try new things.

No comments: